For as long as I can remember Eclairs were my least favorite thing to try, until now. I guess it depends on the individuals preference on what they fill them with. Unlike, using traditional vanilla pastry cream, these eclairs are filled with creme moussline pralinee. Although, it is still pastry cream, it’s pastry cream with a much richer flavor, and mellow on the palate.
Combine the butter and water in a pot, melting the butter. Bring to a boil, then add the flour, sugar and salt all at once.
Stir vigorously to remove any lumps from the flour. Continue cooking the paste. The mixture should form into a ball and a skin forms on the bottom of the pot.
Transfer the paste to a kitchen aid bowl. Beat for 30 seconds to slightly cool. Gradually add the eggs. Be sure to scrape the side of the bowl. Once all the eggs are incorporated the mixture should be very smooth and lump free.
In the photo I am using a star tip, although it doesn’t matter which one you use. Add the mixture into a piping bag with the tip of you choice.
And start piping. Bake for 18 minutes or until you have a nice brown color on top. Keep in mind that you want the inside to remind soft and not as hard as it is on the out side.
365 grams Water
155 grams Butter, cubed
2 grams Salt
3.5 grams Sugar
232.5 grams All purpose flour
365 grams Eggs
1. Combine sugar, flour and salt in a bowl and mix together.
2. In a pan over medium heat add the milk and butter. Once the butter is melted bring the mixture to a boil. Add the flour mixture all at once stirring vigorously, removing any lumps of flour to a smooth consistency.
3. Return to the heat and cook, stirring constantly until the paste forms a ball and a skin forms on the bottom of the pot.
4. Transfer the paste to a kitchen aid bowl, beating on the lowest speed with the paddle to cool the paste slightly, about 30 seconds.
5. Gradually add the eggs, until it is incorporated.
6. Be sure the scrape down the bowl often.
7. Using a regular or star tip, put mixture in a piping bag.
8. Line a full size sheet tray with parchment paper or a silk pad and pipe to the desired length.
9. Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 18 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
11. Once the eclairs are cooled, using a serrated knife careful remove the top of the eclairs and fill it with creme mousseline pralinee and fruit of your choice. You can also drizzle chocolate sauce over it and finish it off with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
12. If you choose not to cut the tops off you can pierce the bottom of each eclairs at both end with a the tip of a plain tube.