TOFU SALAD and GARLIC GINGER BROTH
Yeild: 2 servings
Prep Time: 50 mins
Cook Time: 8 mins
Total Time: 58 mins
4 oz Extra firm tofu, sliced 1/2″ thick
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp Red crushed pepper,
1/2 tsp Garlic, minced
3 tbsp Olive oil
1/2 tsp Paprika
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1. Drain the water from the tofu. Measure 6 ounces and put the rest in an air tight container with water.
2. Slice the tofu 1/2″ thick spreading each of them on paper towel to remove any excessive amount of water.
3. In the meantime, add the garlic, lemon juice, paprika, pepper salt and pepper and olive oil to a bowl and whisk. Add the tofu and marinate for 45 mintues.
4. Remove the tofu marinate. Taste and adjust season with a pinch of salt.
5. In a cast iron or stainless skillet on medium high heat pan sear the tofu on both sides until golden brown.
6. Blot on paper towel.
GARLIC GINGER “BROTH” PREPARATION
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 36 mins
Total Time: 46 mins
3 oz Saladini (little picnic salad)
2 oz Kale, shredded
1 tbsp Fish sauce
1/4 tsp Sesame oil
1/4 tsp Soy sauce
5 oz Bonito flakes
2 inch Ginger, crushed
2 stalks Scallion, thinly sliced
10 g Kombu aka Dried kelp
3 cloves Garlic, crushed
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Canola oil
1. Fill a soup pot with 1.5 quarts of water. Add the kombu. Let it sit for at least 20 mins or until the kombu is slight re-hydrated.
2. On medium low heat slightly bring the water to a boil. Remove the kombu once it is easily pierced by your thumbnail. Remove kombu, add crushed garlic and ginger root. (BOILING KOMBU, will result in a bitter tasting product).
3. Bring stock to a full boil. Remove from heat and add the bonito flakes. Allow the flakes to settle for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
4. Wash and dry kale. Remove kale from the rib. Shred leaves using a chef knife. Set aside until ready to use.
5. In the meantime, in a non-stick skillet on medium high heat add 1 tablespoon canola oil. Once the oil is heated pan sear the tofu until golden brown. This will take at least 3 mins. Turn and repeat on the opposite side. Blot on paper towel. Slice each tofu in half. (horizontal). Once all your tofu is pan seared and slightly cool start assembling your salad. Start with the broth, then kale, tofu, assorted sprouts and finish with the sliced scallion.
1. What is pan searing? Food cooked at a high temperature until a caramelized crust is form. In this case until the tofu is golden brown.
2. What is kombu? Edible kelp.